About Good Scents

The cut flower business ended in 2011 but I continue to post other items about gardening.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

I'm back though not in business

I have not logged into this blog for a couple years and when I did today I was surprised to see how many people read posts here (Google tracks all that stuff if you ask them to).  I am still working for Project Grow and not coming back to the cut flower business but I will be growing some cut flowers for me this year. I am thinking of continuing the garden blog but have it be about all kinds of gardening that I do rather than just for the business.

For the first couple years after I ended the business I didn't want to raise any flowers for cutting.  The business was a lot of fun but a huge amount of work and it exhausted my interest in growing flowers.  I had never thought that was possible, but it happened.  I grew lots of vegetables in 2012 and 2013.  This year I will be growing the veggies again (though probably not so many) and some flowers for cutting.

When I stopped the business, I had about half an acre of flower beds - around 120-130 100 square foot beds.  I continue to rent about 1/10 of that space.  Half of it is planted with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, asparagus and a couple grape vines.  The other half was planted with corn, cabbage, pimentos and other veggies.  This year I will still have corn, peppers, collards, and some other veggies but will also be growing delphiniums, lisianthus, asclepias, cosmos, dahlias, and dianthus for cut flowers.

Hope to continue posting regularly.  I've already started lisianthus and delphiniums!


No comments: